Thursday 8 May 2014

Trader arrested with 9.375kg cannabis concealed inside foodstuff

A 38-year-old trader has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, for allegedly being in possession of 9.375kg of compressed cannabis hidden inside foodstuffs, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

The suspect, identified as Izuchukwu Jude Ekwosimba, was apprehended while attempting to board an Ethiopian Airline flight to China where drug trafficking attracts capital punishment.

The operatives reportedly detected the drugs which were concealed inside dried fish, dried bitter leaf, crayfish, melon and other local food spices, when the suspect came to check in his luggage.
During investigation, the father of one told operatives that he was tempted to go into the illicit business in order to pay his house rent.

According to the Anambra State-born, “I sell clothes on Lagos Island and I live at Ikotun with my wife and child. My business was doing well until I was duped of N5 million. Since then, I have been living from hand to mouth. My greatest challenge now is the payment of my house rent and shop.

“I bought the hemp for N104,000 and I learnt that I could sell it for $9,000 in China. I had no other source of getting the needed amount, that was the reason why I decided to smuggle drugs.”

Chairman/Chief Executive of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, however, dismissed the suspect’s claim of financial difficulty as cause for indulging in the illicit business, stressing that someone who could afford a return ticket, buy drug worth N104,000 with basic travel allowance, could have conveniently settled his rent.

He, however, expressed joy over the suspect’s apprehension, explaining that it prevented him from possible death sentence in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment