Tuesday 8 April 2014

‘I didn’t write Great Nation for Jonathan’

By all standards, Timi Dakolo is a good singer and great performer. His voice stands him out. Since he released his soar-away song, Great Nation, he has been in hot demand at home and abroad.
In an interview with Victor Akande of The Nation, he explains that the song was not for Jonathan but for Nigerians borne out of his love for the country.

Hear Him
WHAT actually inspired you to do the song Great Nation?

Actually, it is my love for Nigeria. I have found out that a lot of people still look at this country as if it’s not going to work because there are too many bad things. However, there are positive sides to this country too, in spite of the negative parts. Personally, I would rather say positive things even in negative situations, which is not necessarily a lie.

It is one thing to be convinced about a positive cause and it is another thing to sing about it. What did you actually put in that music because the song came with some strength?

First of all, what I do about music is, I don’t sing music. I see the things that I intend to achieve, I dwell over the song for a very long time and I go back and forth until I achieve what I want. So, I don’t just sing. So, for me to say Nigeria is a great nation, it means I am trying to eliminate every negative thing because this country is our own. As my grandmother would say, “No man go run leave him mama house because he dey catch fire.”

You are from the Niger Delta and the President is also from the area. Is it a coincidence that you sang that song or was it in solidarity with the man in power at the moment?

It is basically written for every Nigerian here or in the Diaspora; it is also for children yet unborn. Let them realise that this country is not just a country, but it is you and me. So, it is not for anybody in particular, but for every true Nigerian by birth or by nationalisation or otherwise. We should all believe that this country is a great nation and we must begin to work towards it. My grandma will always say, “If every man clean him yard, the world will be a cleaner place.” So, it’s not just for anybody in particular; it’s for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment